This summer we seem to have benefited from good weather, I hope that it remains so for the summer events that are happening across our services. There are the usual round of Cream Teas, Fetes, BBQs and a few more unusual events. I’m hoping that the Residential Op’s team return fit and well after their attempt in the three legged race at the Field House (Shepton Mallet) Sports Day.
Alongside the day job (or nights!) that everyone has in supporting all our customers I’m constantly impressed by all the ‘extra’s’ that staff do, whether it’s supporting our own fundraising functions or contributing to Charitable events held to raise money for wider good causes. There are too many to mention them all, but some of the recent ones I’m aware of include, skydiving, running in the Race for Life and a RNLI raft race in the Bristol Channel!
Care and Support news
- Occupancy in our care homes naturally fluctuates but top notch goes to the teams at Popham Court, Southlawns and The Priory who have all attained 100% occupancy in August.
- The Mendip Community Services team have recently held an opening event for the re launch of the Emma Sheppard centre at Frome. The service provides day support to people with dementia and is highly valued by the people attending. I recently visited the centre and was impressed by the service, my contribution to the day was joining in with the fitness session, it was good fun and enjoyed by all.
- Howard Jones, 83 (not the well known musician) but a resident at Sunningdale Lodge is part of the Ages2.0 project. He has just independently completed his online ‘Forget me Not’ life story book, some achievement as he had not used a computer before the project started and he was able to upload his photos and life story into the book.
- For our Realise services one of our current pieces of development work is the conversion of a couple of unused staff flats adjacent to Halcon House in Taunton, this will create super accommodation for some Learning Disability clients in the near future.
- Hot off the press – Pulsford Lodge have just attained their Gold Standards Framework accreditation and have achieved the highest rating of Commended. Congratulation to all of the team for their hard work in receiving this accolade.
- I have been ‘out and about’ visiting services over recent weeks, care home visits included The Priory (Tetbury) and Greenhill House (Cheddar), then South Hampshire and Mendip community bases and on to Sheffield, North Allerton and Ponteland where I visited some of the new YourLife schemes. It has been a delight to meet clients and staff alike, thank you to all of you who have made me so welcome.
- Across the company we continue to develop our online presence, the new website is in the final stages of completion and our social media status has extended, on Twitter: we now have 1,180 followers – an increase of 7% on last month and on Facebook: our page has 510 ‘likes’ – an increase of 25% since last month.
I hope that the weather holds for while longer so that those of you planning a break can enjoy a rest from work in the sun – rest and relaxation, keeping a good work life balance is important in ensuring that when we do all return to the “day job” after a break, we feel refreshed and energised.